Saturday, April 11, 2009

is Knitting silly?

Sometimes I can't help but feel a little silly for enjoying knitting and spinning. It seems like such an obsolete art. Why do I enjoy twisting wool into yarn? My husband doesn't understand why either--he calls it my "hair collection". I know that spinning and knitting used to be vital to life before China made everything for us. Imagine when ALL the thread for cloth had to be spun by hand. But now it don't get no respect: people seem to think it is just some weird thing that little old ladies like to do--make itchy, ugly hats for grandchildren. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. It may seem unnecessary at this juncture in human history but god damn it it is so satisfying! There is nothing like making something with your own hands. Besides who wouldn't want to enjoy being silly at least once a day!

    I was in the airport knitting next to an old granny who was also knitting and she turned to me and said "aren't we being good!" I did feel as thought we were also being a bit silly but it was nice to be able to share an experience with a complete stranger just because we were both knitting.....

    I'd like to call it my detached hair collection....

    ReplyDelete